• your rights and responsibilities
• our responsibilities to you
• how we expect you to interact with our Services and with other users
1) Who delivers the Services to me?
We are STV Central Limited, a company registered in Scotland no. 172149. If you have any queries, you can contact us at email@example.com, phone us on +44 (0)141 300 3000, or write to us at STV, Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1PQ.
2) What are the Services?
We aim to provide constant and uninterrupted access to the Services, but we do not take responsibility for issues outside our control, such as internet or connection issues. Specifically we do not guarantee:
• the availability of the Services on each and every device or platform all of the time
• that any technical issues that arise can be resolved quickly
• that the Services are error, virus or bug free
3) What do we mean when we refer to “Content” on the Services?
Content can be programmes, video, audio, text, images, either owned by us or licensed to us to use.
4) Whose Content is it?
All copyright, trademarks and other intellectual property rights in the Content belong to us or our licensors. The Content is protected by various intellectual property rights, such as copyright and trade mark laws. You may not reproduce or distribute any Content except as provided below.
You may only use the Content for your personal, non-commercial use. However, provided they are credited to STV, you may publish short excerpts or summaries of a published article accompanied by a hyperlink which takes the reader to the whole article on our Services.
Your use of the Content must not (in our sole opinion) bring, or be likely to bring, STV into disrepute, or otherwise cause any loss or damage to STV.
Content on our Services may contain statements and opinions which are not our own, and with which we do not necessarily agree. We do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of all the Content.
5) Accessing our Services
Here are the ways to access our Services.
- Visit our web-site at stv.tv
- Download our Apps (including our STV Player App, and our STV News App)
- Subscribe to e-newsletters
- Enter a competition
If you join our Services, you will be opening an STV account, and you will be asked to enter your email address and a password ("Log-in details"), along with your name, date of birth and home address. You should keep your Log-in details confidential. Do not allow anyone else to use them. You are responsible for all activity that occurs under your Log-in details.
For e-newsletters around our online news service, at a minimum, you need to provide your email address.
You must be 16 or over to join and open an STV account, or to subscribe to any newsletter.
6) What I should know about using the STV Player?
You must be 16 or over to join and access the STV Player.
We apply "geo-blocking" measures to prevent access to some Content in cases where rights restrictions apply. Specifically, there is some Content which will not be accessible if you are located outside the central and north regions of Scotland (where we broadcast our Channel 3 service), and/or outside the United Kingdom.
You agree not to circumvent any geo-blocking measures or to access, or attempt to access, such Content if you are located in areas to which we have prevented access.
Programme Suitability and Parental Controls
Some of the Content available on the STV Player video on-demand service may contain material unsuitable for under 18s, or may be of a sensitive nature. We use different systems to identify such material.
• Where it is unsuitable for under 16s, we endeavour to identify it by flagging a symbol “G” (for guidance)
• Where is it unsuitable for under 18s (or of a sensitive nature, generally) we provide guidance notes
We have built parental controls into the STV Player. It’s up to you to set the parental controls if any children have access to your device. Once set, they will prevent the viewing of Content labelled with a “G” symbol from that device unless a 4 figure PIN is entered.
“Catch Up” and archive Content is not live
Catch up and archive Content available on the STV Player is not live. Therefore, please do not respond to any invitation to enter any competition, phone-in, vote, quiz or any other interaction, as the time for the interaction may have come to an end. If you do so, you may still be charged, and your entry/contribution may be too late, and not included, or considered.
When we are live streaming, or simulcasting our television channels over the internet, there is a delay but the service is as near live as possible. Please bear this in mind when interacting with our Services.
Please note that we may amend/remove Content available on our STV Player at any time without notice.
7) How may I use the Services?
You agree to use the Services only for non-commercial, lawful purposes, and in a manner that does not infringe the rights of third parties, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of the Services by any other user.
Specifically, you agree you shall not:
• use the Services for the transmission of any spam or computer viruses.
• anything that brings (or in our opinion is likely to bring) STV into disrepute.
• embed, upload, or make any of the Services or Content available via any third party platform, website or service without STV’s prior consent.
• copy, reproduce or otherwise publish any of STV’s trademarks or logos.
• frame our website on other websites without our express permission.
8) Interference with Content
We may use technical measures for the security and protection of Content. You agree not to interfere with any such technical measures, or unlawfully access, or use, our servers, systems or Content, nor to attempt to do so.
9) Interacting with the Services
Please note that you must be 16 or over to submit any Contribution to our Services (unless stated otherwise in any Specific Terms).
You (or those who have given you permission to use it) own any Contribution (including the intellectual property rights therein) that you submit and you may carry on using it.
By submitting a Contribution, you are granting to us (and in this section “us” includes other companies within the STV group of companies) a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable licence to use your Contribution on any media, platform or device (including on television) and to use, edit, prepare derivative works from and further distribute it across any media, platform or device throughout the world at any time, and to grant sub-licences. You also authorise STV to include some of your personal details together with your Contribution such as your name and location.
For editorial and compliance reasons, we might need to alter your Contribution and you authorise us to do so on the understanding that STV will not alter it in any way that misrepresents it.
You also confirm that:
• You are the either the owner of your Contribution or that you have all the necessary licences, rights, consents and permissions to authorise us to use your Contribution.
• You have obtained the consent of each person who appears in your Contribution to authorise us to use your Contribution. If any person under the age of 16 appears in your Contribution, you also confirm that you have the permission of such person’s parent or guardian.
• Your Contribution will not infringe or contravene any rights of any third parties (e.g. their entitlement to privacy or confidentiality) or contain anything which is defamatory, obscene, offensive or unlawful.
You will not transfer files which contain viruses or other technologically harmful material.
If you submit a Contribution via a method which is available to the public, STV recommends that you do not disclose personal contact information such as your address or phone number.
Please note that STV reserves the right to require you to provide evidence of your age and eligibility.
If you see any Contribution on the Services that you believe is offensive, defamatory or which infringes copyright or privacy, please contact us without delay at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the case of comments, please raise a flag within the comment reporting system or alternatively also contact us at email@example.com.
Whilst not moderating or controlling Contributions posted on our Services, we reserve the right to suspend or delete without notice any material which:
• we believe at our sole discretion to be detrimental to the enjoyment of the Services by any user;
• is the subject of any copyright infringement notice; or
• brings, or is likely to bring, STV into disrepute, or otherwise cause any loss or damage to STV.
• Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use the Services
• Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any Contribution submitted by you
• Issue of a warning to you
• Commencement of legal proceedings against you
• Disclosure of information to law enforcement authorities
11) Links to third party services
You are solely responsible for evaluating the integrity of the operators of any third party websites accessed through the Services; the accuracy and completeness of any information contained on them; the value and authenticity of any goods or services offered through them, and their data collection and use policies.
** 12) Featured Goods and Services**
STV, in association with one of its commercial partners, may provide you with an opportunity to purchase featured goods and services from time to time via our Services. The contract for the relevant goods and services will be made directly between you and the relevant commercial partner and will be subject to the commercial partner’s terms and conditions. STV has no liability to you in respect of such goods and services.
13) STV Appeal
We host a micro-site on our Services that relates to the activities of STV Appeal, a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (Registered Charity Number SC042429) which has its principal office at Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1PQ. Although we work closely with STV Appeal it is an independent body for the purposes of Scottish charity law.
In no event shall we be liable for any claims, loss or damage, arising out of or in connection with your use of, or inability to use, the Services, including, without limitation, direct or indirect loss, consequential loss or damage, loss of profit or goodwill, or for loss arising from any errors or omissions in the Services, or in the Content.
15) Law and Jurisdiction
Last updated: October 2016
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is STV Central Limited (“STV” or “we”), a company registered in Scotland no. 172149, with registered office at Pacific Quay, Glasgow, G51 1PQ (“STV”).
We are committed to ensuring your privacy and protecting the data we hold about you.
(a) Why we collect data (b) What data we collect (c) When we collect data (d) What we do with the data (e) How you can manage and control your data
- WHY WE COLLECT DATA?
- WHAT DATA DO WE COLLECT?
- WHEN DO WE COLLECT DATA?
- WHEN DO WE DO WITH THE DATA? 4.1. SECURITY 4.2. SHARING 4.3. MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS 4.4. COOKIES
- HOW YOU CAN MANAGE AND CONTROL YOUR DATA
- THE STV APPEAL
- LINKS TO OTHER SITES
- CONTACT DETAILS
The main reasons we collect and use data are:
• to provide the Services and information that you have requested;
• to provide you with email updates about STV and our Services;
• to send you details of STV competitions, promotional messages and offers about STV and our Services;
• to help optimise your use of the Services, to give you a good user experience and to personalise your use and our communications to you;
• to help us monitor, support and improve the performance of our Services (by analysing your use and experience of our Services);
• to help us understand more about you and the products and services you use and are interested in; and
• to tailor the online advertising you receive.
We combine information that you provide to us (and that we collect from time to time across different parts of our Services) with information that is publicly available and/or that we receive from third parties such as advertisers and/or other reputable sources who have obtained your permission to do so, or have otherwise explained to you that this may happen.
Knowing more about you helps us to understand our consumers better, and means we can give you recommendations about STV products and services you may be interested in, and provide you with relevant advertising and customised communications that are of interest to you.
Advertisers place added value on being able to serve adverts which can be targeted (for example according to age; location; geographical location) which in turn, enables us to invest more into improving and developing our Services, and in our Content.
When you join STV you will be opening an account with us. To open an account we require your name, email address (and a password), address (including postcode), and date of birth.
To receive newsletters relating to our online news services, we require, at a minimum, your email address.
In addition, we collect:
• any other information that you add to your profile page;
• information you provide when you contribute to our Services (such as upload comments, video or photos);
• additional information from you if you enter a competition (such as a phone number so that we can contact you if you win);
• details about your use of the Services, including for example the frequency of your visits; the time you spend viewing our Content; and the Content you view the most;
• browser type, operating system and platform;
• your IP address;
• location data from your IP address.
• personal data provided by other companies where they have obtained your permission to share it.
We collect personal data and other information about you when:
• you join and open an account;
• you subscribe to a newsletter;
• you visit our website, or download any of our Apps;
• you interact with us by contributing comment or other material or taking part in a survey;
• you join to enter competitions, prize draws or take part in any voting;
• you correspond with us via phone, email or otherwise.
The security of your data is important to us. We have technical and operational security policies in place to protect the data we collect, use and store, against unauthorised access or disclosure; improper use, alteration, unlawful or accidental destruction of loss.
However, please be aware that the sending of information through the internet is not completely secure. We do not guarantee the security of your data transmitted to and from our Services over the internet, and you accept the inherent security implications of using the internet, and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security unless we have been negligent.
We share your data in the following circumstances:
• When we engage data processing companies from time to time to help manage your data, and to deliver specific functionality, some of whom may be based or perform their services outside the European Economic Area. These companies must comply strictly with our instructions and we do not permit them to further use or share your personal data. We also require them to have appropriate technical and operational security measures in place.
• In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your data to the prospective seller or buyer, or new business partner.
• With our relevant commercial partner in relation to the purchase of any featured goods and services brought to you via our Services.
You will receive service emails about your account or important information about our terms and conditions.
If you have joined, and have agreed, you will receive email communications from us about our programmes and services.
We may also contact you by post with information on STV products and services.
Some of these communications are issued regularly (as is the case with our e-newsletters), others may be prompted by specific events, or programmes. These communications may be selected for you on the basis of information you have provided to us, and your use of our Services and may include third party advertising, or third party selected offers (targeted to your interests).
You can unsubscribe at any time to any marketing communications or newsletters. Please go to your Preference Centre where you can manage the communications you receive. You can also unsubscribe via the unsubscribe link at the foot of any email, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On occasion, when interacting with our Services, such as entering a competition, you may be asked for your permission to share some of your details to a prize donor or sponsor for their marketing purposes. That will be your choice, and at your discretion.
There are four (4) main types of cookies:-
• Strictly necessary – these are required to enable you to move around our Services and to use their features.
• Functionality – they help personalise your use of our Services and make your use of them more efficient and enjoyable.
• Analytical – they help us analyse patterns of behaviour and to develop a better user experience, and improve our Services.
• Advertising – these are used to show you adverts that are more relevant to you and your interests.
You can update your personal details or change your password at any time by going to Your Profile at stv.tv. Here you can also, if you wish, close your account.
You can manage your preferences around the communications you receive from us by going to your Preference Centre.
You can also unsubscribe to e-mails via the foot of any email.
Alternatively, you may ask us to amend your details or close your account by e-mailing us directly at email@example.com. STV will then process your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
We will hold your personal data on our systems for as long as you use the Services and for a reasonable amount of time after you close your account.
You can ask us whether STV holds personal data about you, and can request a copy of it. Your request must be in writing. See our CONTACT DETAILS below. Before sending you a copy of any personal data, we will ask you to provide sufficient proof of your identity together with a £10 administration fee.
We host a micro-site on our Services that relates to the activities of the STV Appeal, a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (Registered Charity SC042429) which has its principal office at Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1PQ. Although we work closely with the STV Appeal it is an independent body for the purposes of Scottish Charity law. Any personal data we collect on its behalf is kept separate from any other personal data we may collect. For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, STV Appeal is the data controller of your personal data, and it is processed in accordance with the STV Appeal’s own Privacy Statement which you should read before providing your personal data.
STV, Pacific Quay
Updated: June 2017
1) What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or application (“device”). Your web browser then sends these cookies back to the website or application on each subsequent visit so that they can recognise you and remember things specific to you such as personalised details, preferences.
2) How long are cookies used for?
Session cookies last only for your session online and do not remain on your device when you close your browser. Persistent cookies remain after the browser has been closed, are activated each time you visit the site from which it was downloaded and last for as long as the cookie specifies.
3) Why do we use them?
Cookies allow us to collect information about your experience of our Services. They do many different jobs which help us improve the performance of our Services, personalise your experience and make your visits and use our Services as straightforward, efficient and enjoyable as possible. They let you move from web page to page efficiently, remembering your preferences and generally improving your experience. Some cookies can also help to ensure that adverts you see online are more relevant to you and your interests.
4) What cookies do we use?
We set one, or more, of the following kinds of cookies on your device when you use our Services.
(i) Strictly Necessary cookies are required to enable you to move around our Services and to use their features. If your device or browser is not "enabled" to receive them or if your settings have been changed, aspects of our Services, such as our registration system, will not work for you. If you cannot register your details to join STV you will not be able to use, for example, the STV Player. Strictly necessary cookies are used also to remember security settings, such as parental PIN control, which restricts access to certain content.
(ii) Functionality cookies enable your device to tell our Services what choices you have previously made when using our Services as well as certain details you have previously entered into our Services, for example, your user name. They help personalise your use of our Services and make your use of them more efficient and enjoyable.
(iii) Analytical cookies are used as part of our web analytical services (“Web Analytics”). Web Analytics are commonly designed and operated by third party companies on our behalf and help us learn how our Services are being used. They use small, unnoticeable, images (known as pixels or web beacons) within pages of our Services and in our emails (where you have agreed to receive such communications) that count the number of times something has been viewed. Cookies allow Web Analytics to recognise your browser or device and, for example, identify how you found our Services, whether you have visited them before and what parts of our Services you viewed. They allow us to track how many individual users have used our Services, how often and how they moved around our Services. They help us analyse patterns of behaviour, develop a better user experience and improve our Services. For example, we might see that many people who viewed one programme also viewed another programme and we can then recommend the second programme to people who have viewed the first programme, but not the second. We can see which parts of our Services are most popular, identify errors that may occur and improve how we present information.
(iv) Advertising cookies are used as follows to show you adverts that are more relevant to you and your interests.
(a) Cookies are placed on your device by our third party service providers. These cookies can remember that you have visited a website in order to provide you with targeted adverts which are more relevant to you and your interests. This is often called online behavioural advertising (OBA) (also known as ‘behavioural targeting' or ‘interest based advertising') and is done by grouping together shared interests based upon previous web browsing activity. Your previous web browsing activity can also be used to infer things about you, such as your demographics (age, gender etc.). This information may also be used to make the advertising more relevant to you.
(b) Personalised retargeting is another form of OBA that enables our advertiser partners to show you adverts based on your online browsing away from our Services. Therefore, when you use our Services, you may see adverts for products or services that you were browsing away from our Services. These cookies will usually be set by third-party advertising networks.
Without these cookies, online advertisements you encounter will be less relevant to you and your interests. If you would like more information about OBA, including how to opt-out of these cookies, please visit www.youronlinechoices.com/.
Although these cookies can track your visits around the web they don't identify who you are. Even if you join STV, this OBA data is still not linked to your profile. However, as we explained in 4. “What cookies do we use? (iii) Analytical” above, we may combine information you provide to us with the data we get from our Web Analytics and its cookies and other publicly available information to display to you adverts that are more relevant to you and your interests.
(v) Other third Party cookies not related to STV or third party companies on our behalf may be set when using our Services where third party content, for example, YouTube or Facebook, is embedded. We cannot control the use of these cookies or access them. You should check third party websites for information about these cookies.
5) How can you manage and control your cookies?
There are various ways that you can manage and control your cookies, and we outline them below. Please remember that any settings you change will apply not only to our Services but to all websites that you visit (unless you choose to block cookies from particular sites).
Most modern browsers will allow you to see the cookies that have been set on your device, to delete or block some or all cookies from being set. If cookies are deleted, preferences will be lost. Deleting cookies will affect some functionality on some or all sites.
If your main concern is analytical cookies it is possible to opt out of having your web browsing activity recorded by analytics cookies set by third party companies on our behalf. To do so you should visit the relevant third party's website and opt out. This will stop any further cookies being set by those third party companies. A list of all cookies we use on our Services, including analytical cookies, is available on request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your main concern is third party advertising cookies, you can turn these off separately. Opting out from receiving targeted advertising will not mean you will receive less advertising when you use our Services; just that the advertising you see will not be as relevant to you.
If you still want to opt out of these third party advertising cookies, you can do this by visiting the Interactive Advertising Bureau's website www.youronlinechoices.com/uk which lists all ad serving cookies that are currently set on your device and tells you how to opt-out from each of them.
Finding out more
The links below take you to the ‘Help' sections for each of the major browsers so that you can find out more about how to manage your cookies.
Internet Explorer: Click here
Firefox: Click here
Google Chrome: Click here
Safari: Click here
To find out more about how to manage and delete cookies, visit www.aboutcookies.org.uk or www.allaboutcookies.org.uk. If you are still struggling with cookies or want a list of all cookies we use on our Services, you can always contact email@example.com.
Last updated: March 2016
A. Introduction B. Eligibility C. How to enter D. Competition period E. Conditions of entry F. Prizes G. Winners H. Claiming the prize I. Liability J. Privacy K. Use of materials submitted by entrants as part of their entry L. Other matters relating to competitions M. Competitions promoted on social media platforms N. Promoter's details
1. These terms and conditions (“Competition Terms”) together with any specific ‘rules’ set out within any Competition promotional material (“Competition Promotion”) apply to all competitions, votes and prize draws (each a “Competition”) promoted on STV Services (being our television channels STV and STV2, our website, News App, and our Player).
2. In the event of any conflict between the Rules and the Competition Terms, the Rules shall prevail.
3. The Competition Terms may be amended at any time without prior notice and the updated Competition Terms will be published on the stv.tv website (stv.tv/competition). You should read through the current Competition Terms before entering and/or participating in any Competition.
- Unless otherwise stated in the Competition Promotion, any Competition is open to residents in the UK, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man aged 16 years or over, except:
(i) Any employees of any STV group company;
(ii) any person or employees of any company who is professionally connected with the Competition or its administration; or
(iii) immediate family members of (i) and (ii) above.
- By entering and/or participating in the Competition, you confirm that you are eligible to enter, participate and claim the prize and STV require you to provide evidence to prove your eligibility. In the event that STV is unable to verify your eligibility, STV has the right to disqualify you.
C. How to enter
1. No purchase is necessary to enter and/or participate in the Competition.
2. You must submit your Competition entry or cast your vote in accordance with the instructions specified in the Competition Promotion.
3. You should only submit Competition entries and/or cast votes on your own behalf, unless there is a valid reason that an otherwise eligible entrant is unable to do so and STV has agreed in advance. Should you require help with an entry, please contact STV at firstname.lastname@example.org. See Clause N(2) for contact details.
4. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Promotion, entry to and participating in the Competition is restricted to customers who have joined and created an online STV account.
6. You must provide your name, email address, address (includingpostcode) and your date of birth to join STV. You may also be asked to provide a telephone number to contact you if you win, to deliver the prize.
7. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Promotion, there is a limit of one entry and/or vote per entrant.
8. Internet Service providers fees may apply when accessing the internet. It is your responsibility to ensure these charges are paid for.
9. You must follow the instructions specified in the Competition Promotion. Failure to follow them may result in your entry and/or vote being disqualified and any charges, where applicable, may still be applied.
1. The “Competition Period” is the period between the opening date and time and the closing date and time for the receipt of entries by STV.
2. All Competition entries and/or votes must be received by STV within the Competition Period. Any entries and/or votes submitted outside the Competition Period will be automatically disqualified. Where no opening date and time is specified in the Competition Promotion, the Competition opening date is the date the Competition Promotion is published.
1. Only valid and eligible Competition entries and/or votes received bySTV will be accepted.
2. STV will not accept joint entries and/or votes.
3. STV reserves the right to disqualify you if your conduct is contrary to the spirit or the intention of the Competition.
4. STV will not accept responsibility for any Competition entry and/or vote that is lost or delayed in transit, regardless of reason or cause.
5. STV will not accept proof of transmission as proof of entry to and/or a vote cast in the competition
6. STV will not accept competition entries and/or votes that are: (i) automatically generated by computer or completed by third parties or in bulk; and where relevant; (ii) illegible, altered or tampered with; (iii) photocopies and not originals; or incomplete.
7. STV reserves the right to disqualify any entrant and/or vote when it considers at its discretion, acting reasonably, that any entrant has used improper technical means to submit any Competition entries.
8. If STV believes, acting reasonably, that any Competition entrant is not an eligible entrant in accordance with these Competition Terms, or has otherwise breached these Competition Terms, STV is entitled to disqualify that entrant and/or exclude that entrant from participating in the Competition. By entering a Competition, you confirm to STV that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete.
1. Prize descriptions are as specified in the Competition Promotion.
2. Where a Prize contains multiple components, the Prize must be accepted in its entirety. For the avoidance of doubt, the Prize cannot be separated.
3. The prize is subject to availability, there is no cash alternative and STV reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to substitute the prize with a prize of equivalent or greater value.
4. Where a prize is supplied by a third party, STV reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond STV’s control makes it necessary to do so.
5. The prize is not negotiable or transferable.
6. You are solely responsible for any expenses not specified in the prize description and STV does not accept any responsibility for any such expenses.
7. Unless otherwise stated in the Competition Promotion, prizes involving travel shall be restricted and will be the responsibility of the winner as follows: (i) You will be responsible for travel to and from the prize destination and for any costs incurred. This shall not form part of the prize; (ii) You will be responsible for ensuring that you, and any person travelling with you, are available to travel and hold valid passports (where necessary), any necessary visas and travel documents for the holiday in question on the travel dates specified. (iii) You will be responsible for all travel insurance, holiday insurance and health insurance required or desired by you in order to use the prize.
8. Where travel dates are restricted or specified, the prize is only available for travel within the restricted and/or specified dates, and where travel dates are not so restricted or specified, all travel and holiday prizes must be taken within one year of the date of the winner being selected. Dates, once notified to travel agent, cannot be changed.
9. Prizes are awarded at STV’s discretion and no prizes will be awarded in the event of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant.
10. Where a Competition prize is provided by a third party (“Prize Donor”), you may be required to complete additional formalities with the Prize Donor, including, by way of example, completing booking forms or signing up to and abiding by the Prize Donor’s reasonable terms and conditions. STV shall not be responsible for any acts or omissions of the Prize Donor or any other third party.
11. Not all Competition prizes are suitable for everyone. For example, some prizes may consist of items to be used for physical exercise or leisure activities. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are suited to use any Competition prize as it is intended to be used and to ensure that you understand how any such items work and their intended purpose and mode of operation. If you are, at any time, unsure as to your suitability to use any Competition prize that involves physical activity, you should consult your own doctor.
12. By entering any Competition, you agree to provide any additional personal information to STV, including your name, telephone number and address which is necessary for the purposes of contacting you to deliver the prize.
1. In the event that a Competition winner is to be selected at random from all eligible correct entries for the Competition, that winner will be selected by either: (i) an automated computer process that undertakes verifiably random selection; or (ii) an individual who is independent of and not involved in the Competition or its administration.
2. In the event that a Competition winner is selected as a result of a subjective evaluation of eligible Competition entries - for example, a photographic Competition, – the criteria for judging will be set out in the Rules. Unless otherwise stated, selection shall be undertaken by or under the supervision of either: (i) an independent judge who is independent of and not involved in the competition or its administration; or (ii) a panel of judges that includes at least one independent judge on the panel.
3. Where the names of the judges are not published on STV’s website at www.stv.tv for a period of 14 days after the Competition Closing Date, the names will be sent to anyone who writes to STV, within 28 days after the Closing Date of the Competition, requesting details of the judges and who encloses a self-addressed envelope to the address set out in Clause N(2).
4. Where entries are judged on creative or artistic merit or other subjective criteria, STV and/or the Competition judges (acting reasonably) reserve the right not to select a winner, and/or remove or amend selection criteria and/or the structure and operation of the Competition if entries are not of the requisite standard.
5. Where the winner is to be selected by STV consumers, unless otherwise stated in the Competition Promotion, the winner will be the contestant with the highest number of eligible votes.
6. In the event of a tie-breaker, the Winner will be selected by an independent judge whose decision will be final.
7. In the event that any Competition winner, after being selected as the winner, is subsequently disqualified from a Competition for any reason, STV shall, in its sole discretion, decide whether a replacement winner should be selected in accordance with the Competition criteria.
8. STV shall endeavour to contact Competition winner personally as soon as practicable after the Closing Date, using the telephone number or email address provided with the competition entry.
9. If any Competition winner cannot be traced or contacted after reasonable efforts have been made by STV or, having been contacted, the prize winner declines the prize in whole or in part, then STV reserves the right to offer the prize to the next eligible entrant selected from the correct entries that were received before the Closing Date, or may cancel the Competition and dispose of the prize in its discretion without any liability to that Competition winner.
10. STV does not accept any responsibility if the winner is unable to take up the prize.
11. By entering a Competition, the winner agrees to provide their first and last name and county (or region) of residence for publication by STV or release on request.
12. STV may publish the winner’s name and city of residence on its website at http://www.stv.tv/ or otherwise, will release the information on request. Any such request must be made in writing, within one month of the Competition Period, and the writer must enclose a self-addressed envelope to the address set out in Clause N(2).
13. By entering a Competition the winner agrees to participate in any reasonable publicity and promotional activity required by STV and further agrees that STV’s may use your name and county (or region) or residence, image, audio and/or visual recordings of them in any publicity or promotional activity.
14. The decision of STV or the judges nominated by STV relating to the winner selection is final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
1. Unless stated otherwise, the winner must claim the prize within 14 days. If the prize is not claimed or accepted within that period, the claim will become invalid.
2. The prize may not be claimed by a third party on the winner’s behalf.
3. STV may, at its sole discretion, choose an alternative winner, selected from the eligible correct entries submitted for that Competition.
4. Unless otherwise agreed, the winner should allow 28 days for delivery of the prize.
5. The winner must inspect the prize on receipt and contact STV within 14 days from the date it is received and report any concerns about the quality or performance of the same to STV. Thereafter, the winner is deemed to have accepted the prize as delivered. Any rejected prize must be returned within 28 days, or such other reasonable period as STV may require.
1. Nothing in these Competition Terms is intended to, or shall be deemed to, restrict your statutory rights as a consumer.
2. Insofar as permitted by law and subject to paragraph I(1) above, STV, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate you or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of participating in a Competition or accepting any prize except where it is caused by the negligence of STV, its agents or distributors or that of its employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
3. STV does not promise that the online or internet services in relation to a Competition will be free from errors or omissions nor that they will be available uninterrupted and in a fully operating condition. The services may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of any technical issues in relation to any telecommunications or internet network, problem with any system, server, or software, or as a result of any technical malfunction, failure or repair.
1. STV does not, unless we agree otherwise with you, claim any rights of ownership in any materials that you include with, or that form part of, your entry to any Competition and as such, as between yourself and STV, you retain ownership of your entry and you authorise STV to use your entry and any materials forming part of it, for the purposes of: (i) operation of the Competition for which it was entered; (ii) any publicity or reporting of that Competition or any STV Competition activities; and (iii) selecting a winner for that Competition.
2. For the purpose of this paragraph K(1), by entering into any Competition you grant STV (and third parties authorised by STV) a non-exclusive, transferable and sub-licensable, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable licence (for the full period of any rights in your Competition entry) for STV to use, reproduce, distribute, display, edit, perform and adapt your entry and each part thereof, for use in all media whether now known or subsequently developed.
3. Where you are invited to submit original material to enter a Competition, any materials submitted to STV by you must: (i) be your original work; and (ii) not infringe any other person’s rights.
4. In particular, you confirm to STV that your entry and all materials that you submit: (i) will not infringe the rights of any person, including without limitation intellectual property rights; (ii) will not contravene any entitlement to privacy of any person; (iii) does not breach any obligation of confidentiality; and/or (iv) does not contain anything which is libellous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, harassing or threatening.
5. You confirm to STV that you have permission to use or feature any people, any information about any people, or other third party material contained within your entry. If any person under the age of 16 appears in your Contribution, you also confirm that you have the permission of such person’s parent or guardian.
6. You will not transfer files which contain viruses or other technologically harmful material.
7. STV reserves the right to verify that your entry complies with this Clause K.
8. Please be aware that unless otherwise stated in the Competition Promotion, STV does not accept responsibility for the return of any Competition entries to Competition entrants. This includes those entries consisting of artistic materials or other materials of whatever nature. Please do not submit any materials in entry for a Competition if you wish those materials to be returned to you.
1. All decisions of STV in respect of any Competitions are final and binding and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
2. STV reserves the right to hold void, suspend, cancel, or amend the Competition Terms where it becomes necessary to do so and at its sole discretion, and without notice and any changes will be an amendment to these Competition Terms and the applicable Rules.
3. In the event of any issues outside STV’s reasonable control including, but not limited to, war, terrorism, riot, civil commotion, accident, breakdown, damage to machinery or equipment or technology, fire, floods, snow, acts of God, strikes, regulatory, legislative interference, ruling or decision which prevents STV from operating any Competition, or providing a prize either as originally planned or at all, To the extent permitted by law and subject to Clause I(1) and I(2), STV shall not be liable in any way for any losses or damages suffered or incurred by you as a result of any such occurrence.
4. If you are unsure about any of these Competition Terms, you should seek independent legal advice.
5. These Competition Terms are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with Scots law and the Scottish Courts shall have non-exclusive jurisdiction.
1. By entering and/or participating in an STV Competition promoted on a social media platform, you are required to comply with the social media platform service rules, for example, Twitter or Facebook Rules. STV shall not be responsible for any acts or omissions of the Social Media platform service.
3. The Competition (including the Competition Promotion) is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with Facebook. By entering and participating in a Competition using Facebook, you are agreeing to release Facebook of any responsibility of damages that could possibly occur as a consequence of your participation.
1. For Competitions promoted only on STV2 (our local television network of services) the promoter is STV Glasgow Limited (Company Number 429418) of Pacific Quay, Glasgow, G51 1PQ.
2. For all other Competitions, unless stated otherwise, the promoter is STV Central Limited (Company Number 172149) of Pacific Quay, Glasgow, G51 1PQ.
3. You can contact us in relation to any Competition by e-mailing email@example.com or by writing to us at Competitions, STV, Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1PQ
Last updated: June 2017
We want your views but we also want to make this a place where people feel they can contribute without being shouted down. So we have a few simple House Rules which we ask you to respect. We reserve the right to take down or edit anything that we consider breaks these rules. These apply to any kind of contribution you make, not just to words but to pictures and videos as well.
Stay on the topic at hand.
Don't post anonymously.
Respect others; disagree as strongly as you like with someone but don’t spoil your argument by attacking or insulting them personally. That also means no hate speech, profanities or what we perceive as discrimination against groups or individuals.
Solid facts always back up an argument; so be as accurate as you can. Better still, leave a link to where you got the information.
Don’t include personal information (such as addresses or phone numbers), yours or anybody else’s.
Keep it legal – that means not defamatory, in breach of copyright, in contempt of court or in breach of privacy laws (see 5, above). Remember you are responsible for what you say.
No spam, advertising, spurious links or anything misleading.
We (that is, STV) welcome your views on our own products and services but we will delete material that is incorrect or just plain abusive.
If you see anything on our Services that you feel should not be there, please click on the word "Flag" on the Comment to alert us to it. You can also contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 0141 300 3704. We will deal with it as quickly as we possibly can.